Labels

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Morning Has Broken

I've just embarked on an attachment program with IBN and this means that now I have the regular schedule of a working person--eight to six work hours. Now I know why nobody wants to grow up.

I've always done my workouts in the evening, just as the sun is starting to set. I do squeeze in a few strength or pilates in the morning, but the bulk of my sweat-time is done when I'm just winding down from the day but still have enough energy to give it my all. It's not too cold or hot, and I still can see the sceneries and the people all around me.

But now that I reach home very late, with growling stomach and wasted stamina, I'm facing an uphill task in trying to motivate myself to work out. I heard that doing cardio before you sleep is like playing for Camp Insomnia, and that when my mind is so buzzing and tired the last thing I should do is cardio. 

And I do have something against the darkness. Which will still be there when I wake up early to squeeze in the cardio anyway.

My plan was to do strength in the morning, and then cardio at night. I'm starting to think if I should switch that. This sounds like a job for...

...the PROs and CONs TABLE!

Cardio in the morning
PROs
Caffeine substitute (after all, caffeine is the hormonal substitute for adrenaline )-->keeps me energized and maybe put me in the right frame of mind (which did not happen this morning)
Acclimatize for races--which always start in the morning
Keeps up my metabolism

CONs
Too easy to oversleep
Research shows that one performs their best in a workout in the evening after a day's work
Sleepy, tired
Cold!
Dark
Hardly any company
(the last two points supplement this next one: GOOSEBUMPS)

This isn't starting to look good for the morning run/swim/cycle. Especially the swim--the morning breeze is already freezing when I step outside; I don't want to even think about the water!

Since it is a new habit after all, I will give it some time--maybe a week or two--and see if I can get used to it as well as the benefits I might reap. 

1 comment:

  1. COffee is also known to help one lose weight. It is better to be consuming Coffee rather then RBull as it has lesser sugar.

    ReplyDelete